Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Funny Lighthouse Pictures--The Jaded Lighthouse Photographer's Hobby?


I love to take funny pictures. When you take a lot of pictures, sooner or later you'll be tempted to play. I have several friends who love this sport as well--Bob Trapani of Rockland, Maine, Bruce Robie of Puyallup, Washington, and Chris Mills of Ketch Harbour, Nova Scotia. They keep me in pictures and in stitches with their funny images.

I sometimes post these images on the online course platform of the college where I teach, and ask students to write about the messages they see. The image below, taken at Fisgard Lighthouse in British Columbia in 2001 always draws some interesting interpretation. One student said I look like I'm unscrewing the lantern on the lighthouse. Another student called me "The Fifty Foot Lady Lighthouse Keeper."


Opportunties are everywhere, but my friends and I specialize in funny lighthouse pictures. You'll find a slection of them here. I hope you enjoy them, and that you'll try this photo fun yourself!


Here I am playing the lighthouse ghost at West Point Light in Seattle....

 
 
 
 Here comes the bride, wearing Concord Point Lighthouse, Maryland, as her veil.
 
 
 
This girl has a new hat!--Cape Meares Lighthouse in Oregon.
 
 
 
 
 
Yes, Point No Point Lighthouse in Hansville, Washington could be haunted. (Sometimes we can't resist a little Photoshopping.)
 
 
 
 
 This guy is buff! He can hold Mullholland Lighthouse on his back. It's in New Brunswick.
 
 
 
 
Bob Trapani captured this shot of the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse in Bristol, Maine paired with one of those tourist telescopes.
 
 
 
 
Chris Mills, a former BC lighthouse keeper, calls this shot "I'm so vane!" I'm not sure what lighthouse this is, or "weather" Chris suffered any pain creating this image.
 



Bruce Robie is cleverly attired in a lighthouse hat at Baccaro, Maine. I wonder how many shots he took before this one turned out just right?

 
 
 
Bruce again, inside a lighthouse lens in Virginia...
 
 
 
 
...and Bruce shooting a picture into a window at Turn Point Lighthouse in Washington.
 
 
 
 
My favorite--Bruce as "The Bell Boy" at Fort Point Lighthouse, Maine.
 
 
 
 
Bruce had some fun on Halloween at Mukilteo Lighthouse, Washington. A little extra exposure will do it! Are these ghosts triplets? They all look like the same guy.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, photos, stories, etc.!