Friday, April 5, 2019

Farewell at Split Rock Lighthouse

Long time caretake and keeper of Split Rock Lighthouse, Minnesota--Lee Radzak.  Photo here and at the end of this blog entry are courtesy of  Duluth News Tribune


Retirement is a long-sought-after goal for many of us. For Lee Radzak, caretaker at Split Rock Lighthouse, the time has come to hand the keys and pass the torch to someone else. Lee and his wife Jane and their two kids have had a wonderful home at the lighthouse for over thirty years. They will be missed. 

I knew Lee by mail long before I met him. My daughter and I stopped at the lighthouse on our way across the states in 1997. Lee was a fantastic host and showed us around the compound. The light station was in marvelous shape, thanks to Lee and his family and the many volunteers on hand to help.

In tribute to Lee and his work, here's an article he helped me write and illustrate in 1991. It appeared in my quarterly column for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin's in-house magazine, Mariners Weather Log. I was surprised to learn that Lee is a gifted artist! Some of his drawings are seen in the article.

I wish him much rest and fun in his retirement. He deserves it!















No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, photos, stories, etc.!