Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Feeling Honored


I have been so occupied with my move from the Northwest to New England, I'm just now finding time to post this honor I received on January 8th from the U.S. Coast Guard.

On that day, my husband and I (exhausted from packing and preparing for our cross-country move) attended a farewell party held for us by the volunteers at the U.S. Lighthouse Society HQ in Hansville, Washington. We all met at the Point No Point Lighthouse for refreshments and fun. Many friends were there--good folks who love lighthouses as much as I do and devote themselves to worthy projects. I was really surprised when Capt. John Moriarity (Ret.), former head of Aids to Navigation in Seattle, greeted me at the party. He's now a civilian working at the 13th District AtoN office.

"Gosh! How kind of him to come and see me off!" I thought.

About an hour into the party, I discovered the real reason he was there. He presented me with the Coast Guard's Meritorious Public Service Award!

Check out my medals in the photo above, taken by my daughter. I also was presented with a handsome award certificate, signed by Rear Admiral R.T. Gromlich, Commander of the 13th Coast Guard District. Whew!!!!

Capt. John Moriarity presented me with the Coast Guard's Meritorious Public Service Award. Jeff Gales is in the background holding the medals.
I've received a number of honors for my work in lighthouse education and preservation, but this tops them all. The Coast Guard has kindly and generously assisted me with all my lighthouse books, articles, and projects. To receive this award from "Semper Paratus" is truly an honor.

Thank you to all who made this happen. I know Jeff Gales and Capt. John Moriarity pushed for it, and I am grateful to both. I'll miss the crew at society HQ. Special thanks go to Capt. John for making the trip from Seattle to present the award. I will miss him too, and his crew at District 13--always willing to let me dig in the files and borrows items, and eager to attend whatever lighthouse event I cooked up.

With many thanks and much gratitude,







No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, photos, stories, etc.!